Stop the Hate! No, really stop with the "haters"!

I think the first time I heard the word "hater" was in the mid to late 90s.  It was later used often in conversations.  I even sang along with 3LW "Haters gone hate, playas gone play, and ballas gonna ball..." Now, it's 2010 and a piece of me screams internally when I hear the word "hater."   Last night, I heard Sean Hannity say he was troubled by all of his haters due to Hannity's disdain toward President Obama.  Well...it's not Hannity v. Obama that disturbs me.  But, when someone like Hannity says the term, it's time to hang it up and move on.  Seriously, since the term went from the urban to the suburban crowd the word has lost the meaning and use altogether.  Let it be known, "When a word gets used by the likes of anyone on the Hills, politics, or anyone who lives in the suburbs, the word is played out."  There I said it.  It's ran its course, and we need to surrender it and let it go. 
Additionally, if you're going to use the word, use it properly.  You can't disagree or give constructive criticism without being called or accused of hatin.  Seriously, let me give an example. 
A:  Halle Berry is ugly (hater)
B:  I don't like the dress Halle Berry is wearing, it's not flattering (NOT hating)
The difference?  Although beauty is subjective, it's really far fetched to say Halle is ugly.  Some may not find her the most attractive or find her plain, but she's alot of things, but not ugly.  In the second example, we have a statement followed by an observation.  That's not hating, it's an opinion.  I see so many examples where people have cried "HATER!" and it's not accurate.  Can we not have opinions without sending people to pasture?
There are so many words that have come and gone, and come back again i.e. sick, sweet, tight, etc.  I heard Tara Reid call something "sick" and it made me feel sick to be honest.  Why?  That's a sign the word has been killed.  If I hear Hillary say I'm hating on her because I think her hairstyle is played out, I am going to call Dr. Kevorkian that same day. 
So, today's lesson?  When you are tempted to say someone's hating on you, just remember, sometimes haters tell the truth, even if they ARE hating.  Check yourself, that dress may make you look fat, your eyeshadow may be too heavy, your hair may need a trim, but it's not that serious.  It's just an observation, we need to be able to call a spade a spade.  *Kanye shrug* Just sayin...


xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn to sound off, thank you for all comments I learn from them and appreciate your taking the time x