Relaxed Hair Health, Yes it's Possible!

Recently I had a discussion with a friend regarding natural versus relaxed hair.  I won't go into the debate, that would take another post; however, I can tell you how I care for my hair.  I've posted pics of the length ad nausea so, I'll just get to the details.
I wash and deep condition my hair once a week. 
I wear my hair in a protected style and only massage my scalp.  No other manipulations are done to my hair.
I use a set of products which has taken me more than twenty years to "discover."
I state I have relaxed hair, but I have to admit, I am one of the small percentage of women, whose hair does not completely straighten.  I have accepted this, and know a few others whose hair is the same.  I can put a relaxer on my head, comb it from root to tip (coarse/super) and it won't get my hair bone straight, I've even applied heat.
I have done EVERYTHING with my hair, blonde, black, blue, bald (yep), natural, braids, weaves, wigs, lace fronts, "natural relaxers" et al.
I think I've spent a fortune on hair products; however, as a child my mother didn't know how to care for my hair, I abused it, I had poor health for a good long time, and I truly believe God is taking care of my hair and I'm just the person physically taking care of it.  I have never had hair past my shoulders, I've had to get shots to stop stress induced hair loss and seen a dermatologist for alopecia.  I got shots in my scalp and if you are interested in what they were I would be happy to provide that information.  Currently, I use a bit of cinnamon and peppermint oil to stimulate the blood circulation in my scalp.  It's what works for me.
Of the six products, the most important for my is the Affirm Fiberguard Sustenance: it gives me the BEST slip ever, better than I received with Nexxus, which I have as a backup.  Aphogee has stopped the breakage, it is vital to my regimen, and I have to use it more than the recommended six week intervals.  Keracare shampoo for dry and itch scalp is the only shampoo which cleanses my hair and scalp without tangling it in the process.  There may be better, but I've used a lot and none work as well as this.  I depend on Joico for the Cuticle Sealer to seal and normalize the pH levels in my hair (apple cider vinegar smells too strong), the Kid's Organic Moisturizer is a back up detangler if when detangling, my hair is having a bad go.  I  will give reviews for each product, but this is my "arsenal" and it is possible to grow afro textured hair to your waist if you learn what works and how to care for your hair. 
For those who wonder about shedding, here is how much I lost this past week.

Also, I neglected to mention I also monitor the hair in the shower to gauge if there is an excess there as well.  I keep a journal in order to discern what's working, the amount of growth achieved, and the products used.
Hope this helped someone!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Sounds like you've got your routine down packed. I'm amazed at how little hair your lost over the course of a week. That, my friend, is the true sign of healthy hair.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to sound off, thank you for all comments I learn from them and appreciate your taking the time x